A dash cam offers a wide array of benefits. Without proper dash cam installation, you will not be eligible to enjoy all those benefits as a driver.
If you don’t fit the camera correctly, the courts and insurers can ignore the camera footage. In many states in the USA, wrongly installed camera means breaking the law.
Therefore, an incorrectly installed dash cam can be more hazardous than ‘no dash cam’. This is an absolute necessity to install a dash cam properly in the truck.
The following guide will let you know ‘how to install a dash cam’ correctly and some relevant factors as well.
Selecting an Appropriate Dash Cam
Go for that dash camera what meets your preferences. Depending on your vehicle, the procedure may be different. And you know the reason why you’re buying a dash cam.
You can consider looking on Amazon and eBay which are loaded with an incredible collection of cameras. Moreover, these websites allow you to read factual reviews of buyers who have practical knowledge about the products.
Visiting relevant websites and analyzing dash cam reviews help to sort out the best dash cam on the market.
However, a dash cam is available in a different price points. It is certain that a costly gadget includes something that is not available in a cheaper gadget. That’s why your investment on a gadget may determine what you’re going to achieve.
So, when you’re thinking to spend $50 or $500, you must be careful about what you’re actually spending. In general, high-quality cameras are available from $100 and higher. They will be your great companion when traveling on a busy road and for hours.
Where to Mount the Dash Cam?
Generally, every dash cam comes with the necessary advice to mount it in the right place. The trick is that it shouldn’t be a distraction. It shouldn’t blur the driver’s view.
Fortunately, many dash cams allow drivers to turn off the camera screen while driving (but still camera records) so that they can concentrate on the road.
Many drivers are in a hurry and they even don’t read the manual. The effect is worst! They simply place the camera on the right side of the windshield, then plug it into the cigarette lighter power and think all are done.
But after a while, they realize that the dash cam installation is wrong and it has been an obstacle. Therefore, taking time and setting up the camera correctly is absolutely necessary.
However, a dash cam should be installed in the center of your vehicle’s windscreen. The best place is behind the rear-view mirror. It is important to ensure that the dash camera doesn’t block the views of the driver and passenger as well. In this way, your dash cam can work more efficiently.
Don’t mount your dashboard camera in a wrong place which can be disturbing. Also, make sure that it doesn’t vitiate the interior beauty of your truck. Before the final placement, analyze the cam position from the driver seat as well as the passenger seats. If the views are clear, then the installation is good.
Many vehicles have the windscreens which are full of black tinted dots. Avoid this place as your camera will not be able to view and record the front sides clearly.
Types of Dash Cam Mount
There are two different types of dash cam mount; suction cup and double-sided tape. Every camera comes with any of these two variations.
We find cameras with suction cup are flexible. They’re easy to reposition and install according to your requirements. Most of the standard quality dash cameras with suction cup mount stay tightly on the surface without any problem.
But the drawback of suction cup mount is that the camera can vibrate when driving. This leads to unexpected and shaky video footage.
Double-sided tape is not too flexible but the video footage is mostly reliable. They’re not simpler to reposition and attach to the truck’s windscreen. You may need to spend some more time and efforts to attach it in the exact position.
However, most drivers use this adhesive mount because it offers the actual footage that you need in emergency case.
Mount Dashboard Camera with Adhesive Strips
The correct installation is positioning the camera evenly that doesn’t obstruct the view of a driver. Moreover, it doesn’t spoil the interior beauty, rather increases the look and do the job ideally what a driver wants from a dash cam.
It is not a good decision to change your mind after the first installation of dashboard camera. I mean – select the right place where the cam is properly lined up. When you’re 100% sure that the placing is right, mount it with provided adhesive strips.
Using Internal Battery for the Dash Cam
Dash cam recording is a continuous process and therefore, an internal battery source is not sufficient. If you travel for a short distance, you can power up the camera with the battery.
When using an internal battery, installation is not too difficult. Simply keep the camera on the right place and switch it to start.
When you’re on a long journey, you shouldn’t rely on the battery as its lifespan is very short. A dashboard camera is designed for helping you in various urgent necessities. Make sure the dash cam is on in every moment when you travel.
Install the Dash Cam in a Cigarette Lighter Power Supply
Possibly the most convenient dash cam installation, plugging the cam into the vehicle’s cigarette lighter socket makes the installation simpler and perfect.
You will receive a cable with your camera that will ultimately make life easier. Don’t think much about the internal battery life and even, you can ignore hardwiring the camera to the fuse box.
Dash cameras come with a variety of features. Usually, they start capturing when they are connected to active power sources. Depending on the models, the cam shuts off when the ignition is switched off and the cam may record even when the ignition is off.
If your dash camera gets the power automatically when the engine starts, then you’ll only need to install the dash camera into the cigarette lighter and forget this. As it will work depending on your vehicle engine, so you don’t need to worry about this.
Otherwise, you have to stop the camera manually by unplugging it from the power source and start the camera by plugging it into the power source.
The installation seems easier, follow the process.
1. Put the cable correctly so that it is out of the eyesight. You will find a sufficient gap between the windscreen and the roof lining. Most of the camera cables are designed to fit across this area neatly. Camera cables should be tucked down the side and above (top) of the windscreen.
2. You already know that the best place of a dashboard camera is behind the rear-view on the passenger side. On the windscreen, put the suction cup properly. Make sure that the camera doesn’t come in contact with the black-spotted part on the windscreen.
To sum up, with the fairly long cable, you can plug the dash cam into the cigarette lighter without any trouble. This is easy and ideal for drivers who want things done effortlessly. It allows you to plug in and run; no hassle at all. Moreover, this is easy to operate and maintain.
Hardwire the Dash Cam
This is the most important step indeed. Hardwiring the dash cam includes a few important things.
You’ll need to connect the camera to the vehicle’s power source so that it doesn’t only depend on internal battery power. The cable should be hidden and the camera should start recording when the engine is turned on – all these are parts of the hardwiring dash cam.
1. To complete the job successfully, a dash cam installation kit can help you a lot. It has a cable that is ramified into two; basically, two different ends are utilized for two different tasks.
2. One end is a ground lug (metal ring) that is used to ground the camera by attaching itself to the vehicle’s metal body. Other end helps to connect to the fuse box.
3. You already decide where to mount the dash cam. Be careful that you didn’t select a position that is not reliable and prohibited by law.
4. Now, you need to tuck the cable within the roof lining and the windscreen, and at last, down the A-pillar. There is generally enough space to house cable between the dashboard and the panel wrapping A-pillar. This can be varied due to the difference in the structure and design of your vehicle.
5. Take a look where is the fuse box. Consider reaching the passenger footwell, it can be found beneath or inside the glovebox. Also, check the right or left footwell.
6. Finding the correct fuse is really vital. A fuse which is ‘hot in start’ is necessary here. It ensures when you turn on the ignition, your camera also starts. Other fuse connection can lead to battery drainage.
7. If you have a circuit tester, you can utilize that here to find the exact fuse socket. After connecting your dash cam with a hardwire installation kit, it provides power to both the camera and the lighter from the single fuse socket.
8. It is where you need to ground the dash cam by strengthening the other edge of the dash cam installation kit to the metal body of the vehicle. There is a nut and bolt that can be helpful to connect straightly to the metal body.
9. This is the time when you need to test the setting. Turn on the ignition and check if the camera also starts. It should work properly. Give a finishing touch by hiding all the cables near the fuse box and other areas.
Don’t be bored with the process. If you can find the fuse box easily, you can complete the rest part within 20 minutes. If you don’t prefer to do it yourself, you can get the dash cam installation service which costs $20 to $50, and sometimes higher amount depending on the relevant details.
FAQs Related to Dash Cam Installation
Drivers often want to know lots of relevant factors when planning to install a dash cam in their adorable vehicles. The following section can be used as a summary as well.
Q. Is it a good idea to take professional dash cam installation service?
A. In general, you can easily install your dash camera without any help from professionals. The above guide can be helpful for you. But if you’re not confident enough, you can of course take help from dash cam installation experts.
Q. What’s the best place to mount your dash cam?
A. Anywhere that doesn’t obstruct the driver view as well as passenger view. This can be at the center of windscreen and behind the rear-view mirror.
Q. How much does it cost to install a dash cam?
A. The dash cam installation price can be different depending on the model and make of your camera. But you should consider a budget from $30 to $100 for the best service.
Q. Should I use dash cam installation kit?
A. If you use cigarette lighter power, you don’t need installation kit. But using hard-wire installation kit you can complete the installation perfectly and it seems better than other installation methods.
Tips and Warning
After knowing the things about how to install dash cam, you still need to maintain several things.
1. A dash cam is an important gadget for your truck. It provides lots of advantages more than your imagination. It comes to make your driving life easy and enjoyable.
2. Not only fraud prevention, but it also saves your money. Moreover, it keeps you out of hundreds of hassles.
3. Before and after installation of the dash camera, you’ll need to carefully manage and operate this costly gadget.
4. You shouldn’t touch the screen of the camera and look at the screen frequently when driving the truck. This can lead to distracted driving.
5. When you’re traveling in a new state, make sure to know and obey the law of using a dash cam.
Dear drivers, do you have any question regarding dash cam installation? Please, let me know. I’ll happily try to answer the question as soon as possible.