After years of use, you’ll want to renovate your vehicle, basically the rims and wheels. You can beautify them and get a brand new look by using the best spray paint for rims.
The rims and wheels can be damaged mostly because of the heat, chemicals, and weather. A dull wheel can ruin the entire beauty of your vehicle. Therefore, it’s necessary to ensure extra care for vehicle wheels.
When it comes to properly care for the wheels, you’ll need to paint them properly. Cleaning the rims, selecting ideal paints and applying it correctly should get the highest importance.
The following article will represent all the crucial things that will help you to paint the rims and wheels effectively. Keep reading to transform your old vehicle into a new one.
Top 3 Best Spray Paint for Rims ComparedInvalid table id. My Recommended 10 Best Spray Paint for Rims
Our 10 Best Spray Paint for Rims (Reviewed and Analyzed)
1.Dupli-Color HWP104[row][column size=”1/2″]
This wheel paint gives you the best match to the genuine factory finish and it is approved by Vehicle Manufacturers. It indicates that this paint is reliable for painting your vehicle accessories.
Dupli-Color Wheel Coating is ideal for customizing worn out wheels. It is developed with track-tested acrylic enamel formula that helps to restore original wheel appearance. Moreover, it protects against heat, brake dust, cleaning solvents, and chipping.
This best spray paint for alloy wheels ensures a durable finish. You can use it for aluminum, steel, and plastic rims and wheels for the superior result. It’s easy to apply and the painting can be done in your garage. It dries quickly and so, you don’t need to spend a long time painting the wheels.
Depending on the weather condition, the drying time can be different. You shouldn’t touch the painted surface immediately after painting. As the paint can splatter out of the nozzle, make sure to cover surrounding areas so that the paint doesn’t stick to them.
- Reflective, durable metallic finish
- Gives the original color and appearance
- Sturdy finish resists chemicals and brake dust
- Faster dry to use after 1 hour
- Multi-purpose use for rims and accessories
Your vehicle loses its beauty as well. In this case, you’ll need VHT SP187 that protects your wheels from nearly all the difficulties. VHT Wheel Paint is a part of a complete coating system. To attain the most from this paint, proper preparation is required. Basically, the cleaning should be ideal before applying the paint. However, the VHT coating system includes primer, spray paint, and clear coat.
This unique product is easy to spray. It dries fast and you can touch it in 30 minutes. It dries entirely overnight, so wait before driving to get the long-lasting result. You finally achieve excellent paint on rims that resist fading, chipping, and cracking while defending the surface from damaging oxidation.
Though it creates an excellent and even coat, it comes with a tiny drawback. It can flake off or chip if you don’t spray properly. Your painting skill can determine how long the color will stay shiny.
- Designed for aluminum and steel wheels, center caps and wheel covers
- No extra curing required, it dries faster
- Very high temperature (VHT) paint, withstands up to 900 degrees
- Superior chemical and dust resistance
- Offers the finest painting when used with a primer and clear coat
The great coverage of the paint depends on the surface color and the porosity of the rims. If you paint carefully, you can really achieve the best from this product. When you’re considering purchasing it, you’re actually saving enough on the money. Firstly, it is affordable and secondly, it can be used in a wide range of ways. Not only for making your larger vehicle shiny, but it can also beautify your other small vehicles such as bikes.
Before applying the paint, make sure to clean the rims thoroughly. Any remaining grease, dirt, and dust can negatively influence the paint quality. Remove all these from every corner and the surface of the rims.
Do not hurry! Shake the can before applying. Maintain the same motion to get an even coat on the surface. Before applying the second coat, wait until the surface is dried and look smooth.
- 12 oz. can for superb wheel paint
- An exclusive steel color
- Developed for a tough and durable finish
- Preventive to nicks, scratches, rust, and weather-related issues
- Also good for hubcaps, auto-trim, grilles, and bikes
Fast-drying and acrylic lacquer aerosol paint always gives the users a gratifying feeling. This acrylic lacquer paint is formulated to match the color and finish of the genuine factory sprayed coating. It is very much user-friendly as it can be sprayed without facing any hassle.
You can use it on all the OEM paint surfaces. It is perfect for old and modern model domestic and import vehicles. Besides rims and wheels, this can be used for other vehicle accessories as well.
To get the best gloss, you’ll need to follow the usual painting process. Start spraying this paint after applying a scratch filler primer. Just make sure to apply a clear coat at the final step (last layer).
- Premium-quality wheel paint
- Equipped with EZ Touch 360_ Nozzle
- A complete range of OEM exact-match colors
- Maximum coverage guarantee
- Good for small and large touch-ups as well as auto accessories
It prevents rust and corrosion while maintaining a smooth and weather-resistant gloss for a longer time. This paint is great when your goal is attaining a smooth finish and excellent coverage. It provides perfect results even with overspray. This means you can use it without facing any difficulties.
It dries faster and wet coats (on damp layers) may take a day more for curing. To produce a deep liquid shine on the steel wheels, apply the paint and then clear coat. Spray on plastic hubcaps in a normal way.
The paint can chip over time. A bit rough texture can be seen after painting though the rim surface is smooth enough.
- The oil-based formula for durability and shiny finish
- Rust preventative spray paint for metal rims and plastic hubcaps
- Rim and wheel paint to resist dent and scratch
- In 10 minutes, okay to the touch, in a day to handle
- Known as one of the best weather-resistant paints
Plasti Dip Rim Kit
Plasti Dip is a rubber-based synthetic coating. You can use this for various applications and projects. It can be applied for coating wheels, automotive detailing, and paint graphics.
One amazing feature is that this paint will not affect the OEM finish of the vehicle. It is matte black and very easy to apply. With an exceptional protective capability, it can resist acids, moisture, and alkalines.
You have several options to paint the rims and wheels. Using the spray button is okay but it doesn’t provide sufficient control. So, attach the Can gun to the spray Can for the better control. Black Plasti Dip over the wheels gives an excellent matte finish.
Be careful when applying this paint! It contains some chemicals that can cause a few cancer and reproductive harm. So, make sure to utilize the necessary protection when using this Rim Kit.
- A complete paint kit to paint rims and wheels
- Multi-purpose spray paint for automotive
- Best and affordable option to bring a new look to the vehicle
- Protection against electrical shock, anti-slip, and abrasion-resistant
- Excellent paint and finish in any weather condition
This paint is exclusive because it can reach sporadic temperatures up to 500°F or 260°C. It can resist efficiently rust, oil, and gas. Therefore, your vehicle gets a new look and that stays longer more than your expectations.
Rust-Oleum packs 12 oz. aerosol paint in it and this is the ideal size for a wheel. However, on the same product page, you can choose from a variety of sizes and color options. Not only this Chevy orange, but you also have options to go for best black gloss, green, low gloss black, Ford blue, and others.
The paint ensures an elegant even finish. After spraying each coat, you’ll need to wait 10 to 30 minutes to spray the next coat. A bottle is sufficient for one wheel but you can analyze what is the ideal amount for each wheel. It can be varied depending on your color and finish preferences.
I love this paint because it is durable and weather resistant. Preparation is the key to attain a smooth finish. So, clean and prepare the rims appropriately for an amazing gloss.
- 12oz. Chevy orange engine enamel
- Long-lasting and smooth finish
- Resists gas, oil, grease, salt, and humidity
- Industry-standard colors available
- Available with a comfort-tip efficient spray nozzle
It is a perfect rubber coating, faster-drying, versatile spray paint. Because of its user-friendly nature, most of the drivers can paint their own vehicles in the garage. It gives you a comfortable and secure grip that resists corrosion, acids, moisture, and abrasion.
Another great feature of the paint is multi-purpose usage. This is very much handy and you can apply it on different projects. The thick protective coating enhances the quality of painting and gloss while protecting wheels from a variety of problems. And that is why this is one of the perfect spray paint for rims.
If you don’t follow the correct method to spray, you may get a rough finish. Apply a clear coat and it will help to attain the expected finish.
- 11 oz. Graphite Pearl Metalizer Plasti Dip
- A multi-purpose spray paint
- Excellent performance in extreme temperatures
- Formulated for superior adhesion and durability
- Easy to apply over rims and wheels
Superwrap Sprayable Vinyl Wrap
When we consider buying a sprayable vinyl wrap, Superwrap comes first in our mind. This is no doubt an efficient automotive accessories to attain high gloss, perfect color, and durable finish.
You may have an exceptional color choice for the wheels and you can easily find it in the Superwrap Vinyl Wrap color selection. It comes in more than 20 color options that help to get the expected appearance on the rims.
This paint is not only for the protection of your rims, but it can also save your money as well. You can paint all the wheels of your vehicle by spending less money than permanent wrapping or paint. It is simply an awesome alternative to conventional rubber coating and vinyl wrap.
It is recommended to use this paint only on metal surfaces or OEM clear coated surfaces. Don’t use on plastic surfaces.
- High gloss and durable finish
- A large variety of colors finishes available
- Protection against the rocks, chemical, road debris, and UV exposure
- Formulated to last for more than 1 year
- One kit for 40% saving
When you have a Plasti-based coat on the rims, it works great. Like many other spray paints, it comes with almost the same features. But you’ll notice the painting result beyond your imagination. It gives a satin finish which is just incredible.
With the high gloss and exclusive color match, this product gives the rims ultimate protection from the rust and debris. It is recommended to use DipCoat Protective Spray after complete drying. This will enhance the lifespan of newly painted rims.
Performance Corvettes Burnt Copper Paint is easy to apply. You don’t need to have the professional-grade experience to use this. This is one of the finest spray paint for rims which is durable and multi-functional. Though it’s comparatively pricey, you’ll not be disappointed with this product.
Be careful that this is not ideal for a non-base coated surface. For the best result, don’t forget to spray a base coat first and then apply this color. Make sure to apply 4 coats for the best color.
- Burnt Copper Alloy Pearls, one of the best paints for alloy wheels
- Satin finish by default, extra Glossifier for enhanced gloss
- Long-lasting paint with the original appearance
- Protective against harmful elements such as dust and rust
What Kind of Paint to Use on Car Rims and Truck Rims?
What do you expect from rim paints? Do those help you with what you want actually?
Every spray paint is developed with unique features for specific purposes. Each type may not be suitable for all types of car rims. So, this is important to select the best paint for particular types of rims.
If you just buy any usual paints, you’re possibly going to get some unexpected painting on your car rims. Regular paints don’t offer the best result and they leave lint, swirl marks, globs, and other drawbacks.
Rims and wheels are made of different metals. If you want to paint aluminum, chrome, or paint rims black professionally, you should select the paint that works for specific metal.
When it comes to perfect rim painting, you should choose specially created the paint for automotive. Only a custom-built paint can give you a smooth and consistent result. For the right color and finish, go for any of the products reviewed below.
The review section is created to assist you in finding the ideal spray paints for rims and wheels. Inappropriate paint can damage the car rather than improving the appearance. I hope you will find the perfect paint below that can fulfill your requirements.
There are some spray paint types and they are unique by their characteristics. Take a look at the types so that you can select one that meets your preferences.
Primer is basically an undercoat. It is sprayed on the metal and used for better adherence. It adds a black and grey shade to the paint. Otherwise, cracks or flaking may appear in the painting.
Base coat is a raw paint and it is used on the rims after the primer. You must use it with a binder to achieve its whole potential. This coat enhances the protection and shine of your rims.
Clear coat is not a color option. Truck drivers and owners use it to shine the rims. It works like a protective coat as well. Therefore, a clear coat is ideal to prevent blemishes and cracks. Though it improves the wheel gloss, it also decreases the UV radiation and oxidization rate.
Truck drivers and owners always want to keep their vehicles in excellent condition. When a vehicle’s rims and wheels look clean and brand new, the overall condition is improved. Among numerous benefits of spray paint, let’s take a look at some of them.
- It is an easy and affordable way to create a new look for your vehicle.
- It makes wheels fresh even if the wheels are chipped, worn, or in awful shape.
- It protects your truck from dirt and debris. Ultimately, it prevents chips, corrosion, rust, and any minor imperfections.
- It is versatile. You can use any best paint for rims for other parts of your vehicle such as metal accessories and plastic hubcaps.
- Wheel paint makes the vehicle’s rims and wheels ready to face the poor road and bad weather conditions.
- It gives you satisfying returns for the investment. Painting vehicle’s rims and wheels are cheaper than purchasing a new set of them.
How I Decided
I purchased and used the majority of the products listed on this page. And for the rest of the products, I tried my best to represent the most reliable information. Here any of the reviews are not influenced by the manufacturer or any person. Therefore, after reading the reviews, you can come to a decision quickly.
How to Choose the Perfect Paint for Your Rims – Buyer’s Guide
It is quite tricky when buying spray paint for wheels. Because of the chemical elements in the paint, many drivers rarely know the relevant factors that determine how the paint will serve. As there are so many varieties of products available, you should be more conscious to buy the ideal one for your particular rims and wheels. Consider the following tips to make the best purchase.
Spray paints are available in a wide array of color options. Some of the popular options are white wheel paint, silver, black, blue, and gold. You can go for an unusual color as well if you want but most drivers prefer common colors.
When it comes to selecting the paint colors, make sure your preferred paint can suit the overall look of your vehicle. It is because you want a paint that boosts the beauty of your vehicle and you don’t want to change the colors frequently.
Rim and Wheel Materials
What types of materials are used to build your rims and wheels? A usual paint may not be perfect for alloy and steel wheels. Alloy rims and wheels are made of aluminum, magnesium, nickel, and other light materials. Some products could be a suitable option for light metals. On the other hand, steel wheels require a different type of paint (paints for steel wheels are mentioned in the review section).
You don’t want to spend lots of times to get a nice finish on the rims. So, you should select something that comes with little drying time.
One of the best practices to paint the wheel is you should allow every coat to dry before putting another coat.
The curing is also a considerable thing. For many paints, you’ll need to wait up to 24 hours and some require only a few hours. In some cases, heat is required to cure and others are simply okay without heat.
You can find some of the finish options such as satin, matte, semi-gloss, and high-gloss. You can choose depending on your personal preferences. But note that matte offers flattering shine, the gloss offers more improved shine, and satin offers the shine between matte and gloss.
The paint has to be durable. They are corrosion, rust, and weather-resistant. Moreover, the top quality paints have oxidization resistance and UV inhibitors features.
When buying spray paints, make sure they are efficient and durable. You can spend hassle-free times when driving and it is a time-saving way if you have a stable and durable painting on the rims.
If you buy wheel paints in value packs, you can save on money. You can buy spray with a clear coat as well. These bundles can make your painting job affordable. If you need more than a few cans, you can go for value packs with several cans.
How many paint cans you need, you can find it depending on some factors such as the damage type, wheel size, color, and finish preferences.
Paints from Renowned Brands
Quality is key for any type of product. In general, a trusted brand manufactures the highest quality of products while a new brand doesn’t have a sufficient amount of products to prove their quality. So, it is recommended to purchase the paints from renowned brands.
Best Spray Paint Brands for Rims and Wheels
Drivers are mostly familiar with Dupli-Color, VHT, Valspar, and PlastiKote, but not with Sherwin-Williams. Each of the mentioned names is a subsidiary of Sherwin-Williams.
Dupli-Color is extremely sturdy and it keeps its integrity in any weather conditions. One of the recommended products is Dupli-Color HWP104 .
VHT wheel paint (Very High Temperature) is designed for the highest protection of your rims and wheels. VHT SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint is the recommended spray paint for rims to maintain the ideal finish even in the extreme temperature.
Valspar and PlastiKote resist scratches while preventing rust and maintaining durable paint. PlastiKote 618 is one of the desired products to truck drivers.
Rust-Oleum is exclusively manufactured high-performance paint. The founder Robert Fergusson was a sea captain who spent quite a few years developing the top quality rust preventive spray paint. The three color options from the company are suitable for steel wheels, aluminum wheels, and plastic hubcaps. One of the popular paints is Rust-Oleum 248927 Wheel Spray Paint.
Plastidip Spray Paint
Plastidip is known for its long-lasting result and glossy finish. The brand provides top-rated products at an affordable price. It is ideal for black chrome wheel paint, alloy rims and wheels, and so on.
How to Use Spray Paint for Rims and Wheels?
The trick is proper preparation. This can lead you to perfect painting on wheels. Let’s consider the below tips to ensure the best preparation for the best result.
Gather Necessary Materials
For painting aluminum, steel, and alloy wheels, you need to gather the necessary materials. You’ll need the following materials:
- Rim cleaner
- Rubbing alcohol as paint remover (any best paint remover)
- Sandpaper or grinder or a wire brush
- Spray Paint
- Clear Coat
Choose an Ideal Location for the Painting Job
An ideal location for the painting job should be well-ventilated. The minimal humidity and preferably dry weather are ideal for painting. The recommended temperature is between 60 and 80 °F.
Get the Safety Equipment
Spray paints are loaded with various elements, basically chemicals. Some of the chemicals are harmful to human health. They can badly affect your skin, nose, eyes, and lungs. Make sure to have glasses, masks, and gloves for proper safety when painting truck rims.
Clean the Wheel
Remove the wheel from the vehicle. Confirm that your truck is well-supported if you remove one or more than one wheel.
After this, you’ll need soapy water to remove greasy stuff from the rims. It is not for making the rims shiny clean. Just make sure there is no oily stuff on the rims. You can also use a wheel cleaner. After spraying it, use the rags for proper cleaning of the grease and dirt.
Remove the Old Paint
If there is old paint on the rims, you won’t get a smooth finish. You can easily remove old paint by the paint remover. For cleaning the rust, use sandpapers. Select the grit sizes according to the rust conditions. Other ways are using steel wire or hand wire brush to remove the rust.
Leveling the Surface
Make sure the surface is even and smooth. For perfect leveling the surface, you’ll need to use sandpaper, flat disk, or metal wire brush. If you want the desired finish, remove all the scratches, rough spots, and curb rash.
Apply the Primer
Perfectly applying the primer will create a suitable surface to paint. This is also a great way to prevent harmful rust. Apply 2 to 3 coats of primer on the rims. Wait for at least 3 minutes before applying the next layer. After the final layer, increase the waiting period for 15-30 minutes.
Tips: Don’t forget to secure the valve stem and tire. You’ll need to simply cover them by tape, old newspaper, or tire shine gel.
Apply the Paint
When painting, make sure the can is 12 to 15 inches away from the targeted surface. Painting layers can be varied according to your preferences and manufacturer’s instruction. After applying each coat, allow the surface to dry correctly. At this time, you can apply various effects such as gloss and mirror.
Now, you should seal the paint with a clear coat. It also adds gloss on the rims. Before applying the clear coat, wait until the paint is dry. Also after applying a clear coat, you’ll need to wait at least 30 minutes to dry the surface accurately. You’ll finally see the new paint and perfect shine on your rims and wheels.
Follow the Tips and Get the Best Result
- Gather all the components that you need to paint truck rims and wheels. Make sure you have spray paint, sandpaper, primer, a wire brush, wheel cleaner, clear coat, rags, masks, gloves and all the things for completing the painting task successfully.
- Read the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Many products have harmful chemicals that can be dangerous to your skin, lungs, eyes, and nose. You should take proper steps to keep yourself safe from those chemicals.
- Don’t forget to ensure eye protection. A usual pair of glasses will not offer you sufficient support. Try to use a pair of goggles specifically developed for the working environment to give safeguard against the dangerous tools and chemicals.
- Cleaning is a vital step if you want a uniform finish. So, remove dust, dirt, and grease from the rims and wheels to paint them faultlessly.
- The sandpaper is certainly important. Because achieving even and glossy finish, you’ll need to prepare rim’s surfaces perfectly. To get the best result, collect a coarse grit, possibly 350 or lower.
- Before painting, it is suggested to practice on a different surface to know the ideal method. Hold the paint can 12 to 15 inches away from the surface and paint in a precise motion. Otherwise, the paint can ooze or run.
- The aim is to create a seamless, long-lasting, professional look on rims and wheels. Spray the paint side-to-side and in a continuous motion and you’ll get the expected result.
- Keep plenty of components near you. Generally, you need more than one disposable masks and gloves during the painting job. They could be filled with dirt and you’ll like better to change them.
- Wait and allow the rims and wheels to dry. To get perfection, all the painted surfaces should dry perfectly or, they will turn into a dirty surface soon.
- It is better to check the weather conditions before starting your painting job. Don’t start painting in high wind or humidity because it can lead to a rough finish.
How to Remove Spray Paint from Rims and Wheels
You may need to remove paint from the rims and wheels at any time. It is because you want a new look or the previous painting starts to look shabby.
The removal procedure can be varied, but you can follow the steps below for almost any type of paint removal.
- It is recommended to remove the wheel from your vehicle. If you don’t want to remove the wheel, simply mask off the brakes with a plastic bag. It will guard them against paint stripping chemicals.
- Using a corrosive chemical is the best technique to remove spray paint. It will loosen the paint on the rims and then you can remove them with a brush or with high-speed water flow.
- Before using the paint remover, make sure the rim is dry. If there is water on the surface, the paint removing chemicals will not work efficiently.
- Now, spray the paint remover on the painted area. You can find several paint removers that work well. Aircraft, an efficient paint remover works on any type of paints.
- Wait until the paint starts to dissolve. It may take a few minutes to work on the painted surface.
- You shouldn’t blast the painted surface with water until the paint is properly dissolved. Blasting the surface with water should remove the paint.
- If all the paints are not removed, you should apply paint remover again and blast water from a pressure washer.
- Before using the paint remover for the second time, you’ll need to wait again until the surface is dried. Only apply paint remover on the particular spot where the paint is still available.
You may be interested in reading the following articles.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Which is better, powder coating or painting?
Powder coating and painting, both come with some significant advantages and disadvantages. Spray painting is a quick solution when your goal is to get a new look for your vehicles. On the other hand, powder coating gives you professional, durable, and top-quality appearance. It includes thorough cleaning which ultimately enhances the lifespan of the rims.
Can I save on money if I paint rims at home?
Yes, definitely. If you go to a service center to paint your vehicle rims, you’re possibly going to spend a large amount. But $100 or less can be ideal if you paint your rims and wheels at home. And undoubtedly, the result will be just awesome if you follow the best practices when applying spray paint.
How to protect the tires from overspray?
If possible remove the tires. Otherwise, apply a silicone gloss or tire gel which will stop the spray paint from sticking to your tires. You can prevent overspray by another method as well. Simply place cardboard or index cards between the tires and wheels, and spray the wheel paint over the metal surface without affecting the tires.
How can I apply the paint evenly on the wheels?
It is important to apply the paint evenly so that you get the perfect finish. Make sure to shake the can and hold the can 12-15 inches away from the surface. Spray with an equal motion. It is recommended to test the painting on a scrap metal before the final application.
What is the number of coats for the best rim paints?
In general, 3 coats are ideal for most of the metals. However, you can consider changing the number of coats. But it shouldn’t be more than 5 coats.
How to stop forming air bubbles?
A: You can notice air bubbles on the targeted surface when spraying. To stop forming air bubbles, try to do your painting job in an ideal weather condition. The ideal weather condition for painting job is minimal humidity and temperature between 60 and 80 °F.
How to paint rims with lots of crevices?
These types of rims and wheels are quite troublesome to paint. But if you carefully do the painting, you can get the best result. First, spray the paint straightly into the tiny and tight spaces. Then allow a few minutes before the next coat. Finally, complete the spraying over the whole surface of the rims and wheels. This method ensures that all the tiny crevices in your wheels are painted effectively.
Can I drive my truck immediately after finishing the paint?
You should allow the surface to dry completely after painting. If the fresh-painted rims and wheels seem enough dried, you should still wait because they can be susceptible and soft to scratches and nicks. To avoid any worst experience, read the instruction given by the product manufacturer.
Now, it is a decision-making session. As you have finished reading the article, you know which product to choose, how to choose and use it on rims and wheels.
And if you believe in my words, I would like to request you to stick with our top pick Dupli-Color HWP104 Black Wheel Paint. It gives reflective, long-lasting metallic finish, superior dust protection, and helps to restore the original appearance. It is also affordable and versatile.
One thing to make you clear is that I didn’t create this list of the best spray paint for rims as a serial of the best to the worst. All the spray paints are really amazing. They have so many good features and a little drawback, and this is for each selection. Therefore, you should just go for any paint that ultimately meets your preferences.
Last update on 2022-01-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API